Civic Space implements an in-kind support programme called the Active Citizenship Mechanism (ACM) or Grow Civic, in order to:
- increase accountability and visibility of CSOs toward the public, including measures to improve enabling environment for civil society;
- promote Human Rights and Democracy, involving citizens in policy dialogue, design and monitoring;
- support reconciliation, dialogue, closer relationship and trust between Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot communities;
- support the exchange of good practice with stakeholders, especially from the other EU Member States and IPA countries allowing the creation and expansion of citizen networks, initiatives and platforms, including support for voluntarism.
Grow Civic provides flexible, transparent and accessible direct in-kind support to rights-based, public benefit work carried out by activists, citizen’s initiatives, platforms, networks, and CSOs who are legally residing in Cyprus.
What we do
So far Civic Space provided support to 61 actions covering a large spectrum of activities such as:
- organising and/or participating in meetings, conferences, seminars;
- organising and/or participating in workshops and study visits;
- participating in networks;
- organising cooperation and partnership initiatives;
- organising and/or participating in events in line with the objectives of the Grow Civic Programme;
- translation services;
- organising bi-communal and partnership activities,
- organising and /or participating in advocacy work, lobbying activities, campaigns, etc.
Through the Grow Civic implementation and with the continuous and unfailing support of Civic Space Help Desk, beneficiaries have improved their project development and implementation capacities while seeking public good, supporting new bi-communal initiatives, enhancing democracy and human rights, increasing their advocacy capacities and participation in decision-making, strengthening their visibility and transparency towards the public, promoting peace and reconciliation, creating opportunities for collaboration between communities in Cyprus as well as for partnerships with their peers in the EU Member States or IPA countries.
- 131 requests received;
- 61 actions supported including 15 actions implemented by bi-communal CSOs or activists as well as 24 actions aiming to strengthen peace and reconciliation;
- More than 2095 Help Desk support ;
- An online management system created for receiving, checking and answering requests;
- 13 info-sessions to introduce and promote the Programme, of which 6 of them were for targeting inter-communal or Greek Cypriot CSOs and activists;
- 10 Grow Civic promotional films.
Grow Civic Films
For more information on Grow Civic please click here.