Developing an enabling environment for CSOs is highly significant for the creation of an effective, vibrant and active civil society in both the Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot communities.
Enabling environment includes various aspects such as legal environment, financial environment and participation of civil society in decision-making processes.
In order to support civil society in strengthening their capacity to participate in designing, advocating, monitoring, implementing and evaluating legal framework as well as to develop a multi-annual strategy “on enabling environment for civil society development,” Civic Space carries out the following tasks:
- Organise Open Door Civil Society Festival;
- Support the creation of an online database/register for CSOs;
- Assist in the drafting of and advocating for a multi-annual strategy;
- Analyse legal texts to evaluate the status of the freedom of association and the enabling environment for civil society;
- Conduct analysis of legal texts with a view to freedom of association;
- Support in drafting legal texts to enhance the freedom of association and the enabling environment for civil society;
- Support in the development and/or advocacy of codes for public consultation and criteria for public funding;
- Study visits for CSOs and local bodies to increase knowledge and information on enabling environment for CSOs;
- Capacity building of local bodies via trainings and seminars.
What we do